Ministers of religion do not have to pay Council Tax if:

  • you do not own the property
  • you have no independent income or assets

The owner of the property should pay Council Tax.

The owner can claim a discount for members of a religious community who live in the property and whose main occupation is prayer, contemplation, education or the relief of suffering.

The property is exempt if it is unoccupied because it is being held for the future use of a minister of religion.

How to apply

Fill in our online form to apply for a religious community Council Tax exemption.

Apply for a discount or exemption