People in prison or detention do not have to pay Council Tax.
If you own or hold the tenancy on a property and were the last person to live there, you can claim exemption if you:
- have been convicted
- are on remand
- are being held awaiting deportation
- are being held under the Mental Health Act
You are not exempt if you are:
- in police custody, waiting to be remanded by a court
- In prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine
If you pay the Council Tax on a property where the occupant is in prison or detention, you can apply for a Council Tax discount.
How to apply
Fill in our online form to apply for a prisoner discount or exemption.
You will need
- the person's roll number
- signature of prison warden and stamp