People in prison or detention do not have to pay Council Tax.

If you own or hold the tenancy on a property and were the last person to live there, you can claim exemption if you:

  • have been convicted
  • are on remand
  • are being held awaiting deportation
  • are being held under the Mental Health Act

You are not exempt if you are:

  • in police custody, waiting to be remanded by a court
  • In prison for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine

If you pay the Council Tax on a property where the occupant is in prison or detention, you can apply for a Council Tax discount.

How to apply

Fill in our online form to apply for a prisoner discount or exemption.

You will need

  • the person's roll number
  • signature of prison warden and stamp

Apply for a discount or exemption