If you are living in a hospital, care home or elsewhere to receive care, you may qualify for a discount or exemption if all the following applies to you:

  • you now live in a hospital, care home or at a new address
  • you still own or pay rent for your former home
  • no one has lived there since you moved

If you are the owner of one of the following types of property you will pay the Council Tax:

  • NHS hospital
  • mental nursing home
  • military hospital
  • nursing home
  • residential care home
  • bail hostel
  • probation hostel
  • hostel where care and treatment is given

If you own a hostel, you must be providing care or treatment for someone who needs it because of old age, physical or mental disability or, past or present alcohol dependency, drug dependency or mental illness.

Any residents who are receiving care and treatment will not be counted for Council Tax when calculating the number of adults living in it. This means you may be entitled to either a 25% or 50% discount.

How to apply

Fill in the online form to apply for a people living in a hospital or care home discount.

Apply for a discount