Use a benefits calculator

It’s important to check if you can claim benefits. If you work and have a low income, you could still be eligible.

Use our Better Off Calculator. You can also complete the budget sheet to receive tips to reduce your expenses.

Help to use the calculator

If you need help, use the web chat feature on the calculator to speak with a benefits adviser. You can also call us on 020 7974 4444, option 9.  

Get advice

If you receive benefits and the calculator suggests you're eligible to receive others, get advice before you apply. This is because your current benefits may be reduced or stopped. You can:

You can also check which benefits are available to you on GOV.UK.

Unemployment or low-income benefits

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. 

Housing Benefit

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit if you are:

  • pension age and a single person 
  • pension age and have a partner who is also of pension age
  • working age and live in specified, or temporary accommodation

Working Tax Credit

You must receive Child Tax Credit and work a certain number of hours to be eligible for Working Tax Credit. The amount you receive will depend on your circumstances.

Health and disability benefits

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is extra money to help with everyday life if you have an illness, disability or mental health condition. Citizens Advice has a helpful guide to PIP.

Attendance Allowance

If you’re sick, disabled or have caring needs, check if you’re eligible for Attendance Allowance. You could get £68.10 or £101.75 a week to help with personal support.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

You may be able to claim a Disability Living Allowance payment to help with the costs of looking after your child if they:

  • are under 16
  • have a condition that means they need much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

Family benefits

Child Benefit

You can claim Child Benefit if you’re responsible for bringing up a child who is:

  • under 16
  • under 20 if they stay in approved education or training

Child Tax Credit

You can claim Child Tax Credit if you already get Working Tax Credit.

Pension Credit

Check if you’re eligible for Pension Credit or call 0800 99 12 34. It can top up your weekly income to £201.05 if you're single or £306.85 for couples. It may also help you access other benefits like discounted or free NHS services.

Carer's Allowance

If you care for someone for at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits, you may be eligible for Carer's Allowance. This pays up to £76.75 per week, but may affect other benefits that you and the person you care for get. 

Age UK have information on financial support for carers.

Benefit advances and loans 

If you are in urgent financial need, you may be able to get an advance on your first benefit payment.

If you have been on certain benefits for 6 months, you may be able to apply for a budgeting loan

Council Tax reductions, discounts and exemptions

If you‘re on a low income, you can apply for Council Tax Support to reduce the amount that you pay. If you are on Universal Credit, you should still apply as these are separate schemes.

A range of Council Tax discounts or exemptions are available including for single people and students. 
Discretionary Council Tax discount is available in exceptional personal or financial circumstances.