Skip to main content

Discretionary Housing Payments

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Discretionary Housing Payments

A Discretionary Housing Payment provides financial support to help with rent or housing costs. It is:

  • temporary
  • not a benefit
  • given at our discretion

Who can apply

You can apply if you get either Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit.

We may award Discretionary Housing Payments for several reasons including when:

  • rent eligible for benefit has been restricted because of the bedroom tax
  • the benefit cap has been applied
  • there is exceptional financial hardship  

We cannot award Discretionary Housing Payments to cover:

  • water, meals, fuel or other ineligible charges included in your rent
  • a reduction in Housing Benefit caused by recovery of an overpayment, or a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) sanction
  • rent arrears for a period when you were not on Housing Benefit, or the housing element of Universal Credit

More information is available in the Discretionary Housing Payments policy

How to apply

Complete the Discretionary Housing Payments form if you believe you may be eligible. 

Claim a Discretionary Housing Payment

Money and debt advice

If you need help with the cost of living or debt, there is support available.