Demolishing a building or structure

Do I need planning permission?

You must apply for full planning permission to demolish a building or structure if any of these applies:

  • the building is in a conservation area and it has a volume of more than 115m³
  • the structure is in a conservation area and is more than 1m high and next to a highway or public open space. Or more than 2m high if elsewhere. The structure might be such as a gate, fence, wall or railing.
  • the area is covered by an Article 4 Direction removing rights to demolish a wall or railing facing the street.

Please note that certain exemptions are set out in paragraph 31 of Circular 01/01: Arrangements for handling heritage applications - notification and directions by the Secretary of State (pdf) (Communities and Local Government).

Listed buildings and structures

If the building you intend to demolish is a listed building, you must apply for listed building consent for this.

Where can I find more information?

The demolition section of the national planning portal has lots of guidance and useful information.

Can I get confirmation that I do not require planning permission?

Apply for a Lawful Development Certificate to prove a proposed demolition is lawful. 

Am I likely to get planning permission?

To find out whether your proposal is likely to be accepted, you can apply for pre-planning application advice.

How do I apply?

You can apply via the national planning portal. To find out what information is required with your application, see making a planning application.

Still not sure whether you need planning permission?

If you need further advice about whether you need planning permission, contact planning advice and information