Supporting the reopening of shops, pubs, restaurants and cafes
Under new planning law all pubs,restaurants and cafes can provide takeaway food, that is hot or cold food for collection or delivery, to be eaten off the premises without the need for planning permission.
But, you must tell the planning team you plan to run as a takeaway before you start the business. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your email must include:
- address of the site to be run as a takeaway;
- proof of the previous use of the premises;
- details of how you propose to run the business. These include the parts of the building/land to be used and the proposed hours of running; and date you propose to start and end the take-away business.
The government has allowed such use until 23 March 2022. The new use must stop before this date.
If you want to run beyond this date, you must submit a planning application. You must propose to carry on using the premises as a takeaway, well in advance of 23 March 2022.
If you are not currently operating as a lawful pub, restaurant or café, you cannot use this change. You must apply for planning permission as usual. As well as this, there may be conditions attached to previous planning permissions. These may either restrict or stop you using these rights.
Read the legislation that set up the new Permitted Development Right.
Outdoor Hospitality – Permitted development for temporary moveable structures
The government has issued permitted development rights for ‘moveable structures’ such as outdoor shelters and marquees for hospitality businesses and heritage attractions to help them during COVID recovery and minimise people needing to gather in enclosed spaces – e.g. pubs, restaurants, drinking establishments with expanded food provision, cafes and historic visitor attractions.
- There is guidance on the conditions that need to be met for them to be considered ‘outdoors’.
- They can have a roof, but must have at least half of the area of their walls open at all times whilst in use. The moveable structure may not be used for the display of adverts.
- Listed buildings will be able to benefit from the right where the temporary structure would not affect the character of a building of special architectural or historic interest.
- The permitted development rights will apply until 01/02/22