Foreign diplomats living in the UK do not have to pay Council Tax.

If you are a foreign diplomat and you lease or own the property you live in, the property is exempt if:

  • you are not a permanent resident in the UK
  • the property is your main home in the UK

Your property will be exempt even if you are jointly liable to pay Council Tax with someone who is a British Citizen.

If you are sub-letting part of your home to a diplomat, you can claim a discount on their share of Council Tax.

How to apply

To apply, you will need to provide written confirmation from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office that confirms diplomatic immunity.

You can send your written confirmation to