Energy rebate Discretionary Payment Scheme
If you’re suffering financial hardship and responsible for energy bills, you can apply for a discretionary payment of £150 (£50 if you live in a house in multiple occupation).
The scheme is open for applications until 1 October 2022. Anyone in any council tax band in Camden can apply as long as they are liable for energy bills and can evidence hardship, even if you have already received a payment through the main energy rebate scheme (for those in band A to D properties).
You can also apply if you weren’t eligible for the main scheme but pay energy bills such as living in a house in multiple occupation, receiving Council Tax Support but moved into a band A to D property after 1 April 2022, or if you have successfully appealed the band of your property into band A to D.
To apply, you will need to register for an account on the grants portal, and provide:
- Your ‘property reference number’ which can be found by searching at tax.service.gov.uk/check-council-tax-band/search
- Your unique council tax reference (from the top right corner of your last council tax bill)
- Proof of identity (must be valid):
- UK or EU driving licence
- Birth certificate
- UK biometric residency permit
- Asylum identity card
- Freedom Pass
- Blue Badge
- 60+ Oyster card
- PASS card from the national Proof of Age Standard Scheme
- Proof of address on 1 April 2022 (please note we cannot accept a council tax bill):
- Utility bill
- Internet, TV or phone bill
- Current TV licence
- Current contents insurance certificate
- If you live in a house in multiple occupation, you must provide an electricity or gas bill to prove that you are responsible for energy bills.
- Bank statements for the last 3 months – both yours and adults you live with. Some banks mask the account number on online statements. In order to validate your claim we need the whole account number showing, so you may need to obtain a paper copy and upload it your claim.
- The reason for your application, for example living in a house in multiple occupation (HMO), financial hardship, moving in after 1 April 2022 (for Council Tax Support recipients only) or valuation decision on an appeal made before 3 February 2022 to reduce your band from E or higher to D or lower.
- If you are applying as a result of hardship, you must upload proof of your hardship – for example, rent or mortgage arrears or other debts. If you live in a house in multiple occupation, please upload evidence that you are responsible for energy bills.
Please note that the Discretionary Payment Scheme has limited funding so residents in most need will be prioritised.
If you don’t have access to the internet you can call 020 7974 4444 (option 9) to book an appointment at our offices at 5 Pancras Square, N1C 4AG
Energy rebate main scheme
Applications for the energy rebate main scheme closed on 1 August 2022.