Recycling, rubbish and street cleaning
We are working closely with our partner Veolia to minimise the impact of coronavirus on recycling and rubbish services, street cleaning and other key environmental services. We are putting plans into place to make sure our most essential services can continue to be delivered safely.
You can help us:
- If you or someone in your household is self-isolating, follow the government's advice on waste disposal. Put personal waste (for example, used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths in a separate rubbish bag, place into another bag and keep aside for at least 72 hours (3 days) before putting out for collection.
- Wash your hands before putting your rubbish and recycling out, and keep your distance when our teams are out collecting and cleaning the streets.
- Make sure your recycling is clean and dry, and rubbish bags securely tied – this will help to protect our collection teams and the public.
- Check what can and can’t be recycled and put it in the right bin, box or bag.
- Try and minimise the amount of rubbish, recycling and food waste you produce.
- Every bit you reduce will make a real difference to maintaining a good service for everyone. Avoid doing big clear-outs while at home, which will create more rubbish and recycling for our collection teams.
Latest services updates
- Recycling and rubbish collections – changes
Collection times may change. This is because we are staggering staff start times and there is less traffic. Please put your bin or bag outside by 6am or the night before. If you live on a street with time-banded collections, continue to put your recycling and rubbish out at the usual time.
- Bulky waste collections (except estates) – suspended
Our bulky waste collection service has been suspended until further notice. Please keep large items at home until the service is able to start again. If you have already booked a collection, there may be delays – we will be in contact to let you know when to put your items out for collection. Bulky waste collections on estates are unaffected.
- Ordering recycling bags for batteries, textiles and small electricals – suspended
This recycling bag delivery service has been suspended until further notice. Please keep batteries, electricals and textiles at home until we are able to send bags. Please do not put these items in your recycling or rubbish bags. If you still have bags, you can still put your items out for collection.
- Regis Road Reuse and Recycling Centre – closed
Regis Road Reuse and Recycling Centre is closed until further notice as the safety of residents and staff is our priority. Please keep bulky items at home until the centre is able to reopen.