In August, we began to reopen our libraries in stages following Public Health England guidelines. You can find out more about the services available below.
Pancras Square, West Hampstead and Queens Crescent libraries are open to give customers limited access to computers. Visitors don’t need to book a place, computers are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
On Monday 7 September, Kilburn, Kentish Town and Camden Town libraries will also open to offer computer access.
These libraries are operating to amended opening hours, 10.30am to 3.30pm, Monday to Saturday, except for Kilburn, Kentish Town and Camden Town which will open at 11am.
Request and Read
The Request and Read service is available at Swiss Cottage, Holborn and Highgate libraries. This is a click and collect approach, which enables users to order books online or on the phone, to be picked up from a counter in the library. On return all books are quarantined for 72 hours before being available for reissue.
For more information, and to order, go to Request and Read
Quick Choice – library browsing
On Monday 7 September Kilburn, Kentish Town and Camden Town libraries will open to give you access to browse and borrow books. To keep customers safe, libraries will be kept to limited numbers and browsing time will be a maximum of 20 minutes. We’ll have a one way system in place along with sanitisation stations and regular cleaning to keep libraries as safe as possible.
These libraries will be open Monday to Saturday, 11am to 3.30pm
Keeping everyone safe
We’re committed to making sure our libraries are safe for residents and staff. To do this, we have introduced a number of measures in libraries including:
- Library users are asked to wear face coverings, in line with government guidance
- Regular cleaning
- Limited numbers, with one way and queuing system in place
- Hand sanitisers at entrance
- Lending machines are cleaned regularly. Hand sanitisers and wipes are also available for customers to clean machines
- Books are quarantined for 72 hours on return
- Browsing time for Quick Choice libraries is limited to 20 minutes
- Children’s libraries are closed but book bundles will be available at the enquiry desk
- Removal of furniture including sofas and study tables to enable social distancing
- No cash transactions
- Computers are cleaned regularly and spaced to allow social distancing
- Customers are limited to one computer session of up to one hour per day
- Family PC use is limited to one adult and one child only
- No printing, scanning or photocopying available
Our remaining libraries
We aim to extend Quick Choice and Computer access to all of the libraries by the end of September 2020.
You can continue to visit our digital library which has a range of free online books, e-magazines and information resources.