Skip to main content

Contaminated land assessments in planning applications

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Contaminated land assessments in planning applications

When is a contaminated land assessment required?

This should be sent with applications for developments where the proposed site is known or suspected to be contaminated. These typically include:

  • former landfill sites;
  • railway land;
  • waste disposal sites/scrapyards;
  • petrol stations; and
  • land used for chemical or industrial processes.


What information should be included in a contaminated land assessment?

A Contaminated Land Assessment should be carried out by a Geo-technical or Geo-environmental Engineer. This should be in consultation with the Council’s Contaminated Land team who can be contacted by email [email protected].

The information included should be enough to determine:

  • whether there is any contamination on the development site
  • the nature of any contamination on the development site
  • the risks that any contamination may pose for future use. Also whether the risks can be satisfactorily reduced to an acceptable level
  • the proposed approach for de-contaminating the development site. When you draw this up, you must show that it will be completed in a responsible and effective manner. This is so that the land will be made suitable for any new use

How do I submit a contaminated land assessment?

If you apply for planning permission online using the Planning Portal, you can upload your contaminated land assessment. This is after you have completed the relevant application forms.

Before uploading any files, please read our guidance notes for submitting electronic files with planning applications (PDF).

If you choose to submit a paper-based application instead, you will need to provide:

  • four copies of your contaminated land assessment
  • four copies of the relevant application forms.

Where can I find out further information?

For further information on preparing and submitting a contaminated land assessment, please see the links below: