Church and other religious ceremonies

If you are getting married in a Church of England church or a church in Wales, then you should arrange to see the minister to set the date and time for your ceremony. The Minister will then arrange for your banns to be read out in church.
The ceremony will be registered by the vicar and there is usually no need to involve the local register office.

If one or both of you are not British, European or Swiss nationals you must give notice in a designated register office

Who can get married in a religious building?

The law requires that you must have a connection to the religious building where you would like to marry. It must be either:

  • situated in the district/local borough where one or both of you live
  • the nearest religious building of your religious denomination (e.g. for Christian this could be Anglican), if there is not one within the district where either of you live
  • the usual place of worship for one or both of you. 

If you are giving notice at Camden Register office please bring with you the name and address of the Church Incumbent or Authorised Person for the religious building. This is where we will send the paperwork for your marriage.