What is a child performance licence?

Children working in entertainment must be licensed by the council where they live. This includes infants and any young person of legal school age.

Entertainment includes:

  • performing on stage, television or films
  • modelling
  • taking part in a sporting activity

A licence is needed if:

  • it is paid work
  • the child is required to be absent from school in order to appear
  • the child will be working for over 4 days
  • the child has performed, licensed or unlicensed, within the previous 6 months
  • the performance is taking place on licensed premises

There are strict guidelines on the number of hours and days a child may perform, which vary according to their age and the nature of the work proposed.


Before you apply

You should apply as early as possible and at least 5 days before you need the licence.

You will need to provide a:

  • clear photo of the child’s face taken within the past 6 months
  • scanned copy of the child's birth certificate or passport –do not send originals in the post
  • health declaration that the child is fit and healthy enough to undertake the assignment – signed and dated by parent or legal carer

Make sure your application includes the:

  • location for the performance, including full address with postcode
  • role the child will perform and any information about the role
  • dates when the child will perform
  • start and end time of the production

Children can only be chaperoned by their own parent, legal carer or a licensed chaperone. If the child's parent or carer is acting as chaperone, you must include their name.

How to apply

Complete the Child performance licence application form (PDF) - the child’s parent or carer will need to complete part two of the form

Email your application and scanned documents to ce@camden.gov.uk or post to:

Education Welfare Service (10 5PS)
Old Town Hall
Judd Street

If you need any help and advice about your application or licence, email ce@camden.gov.uk.

What happens next

We aim to issue a licence within 5 working days of receiving an application.  If information is incomplete or we need to check further information it can take longer.