What is a child performance licence?
Children working in entertainment must be licensed by the council where they live. This includes infants and any young person of legal school age.
- performing on stage, television or films
- taking part in a sporting activity
A licence is needed if:
- it is paid work
- the child is required to be absent from school in order to appear
- the child will be working for over 4 days
- the child has performed, licensed or unlicensed, within the previous 6 months
- the performance is taking place on licensed premises
There are strict guidelines on the number of hours and days a child may perform, which vary according to their age and the nature of the work proposed.