Clean streets

Clean Camden and Great Plastic Pick Up

Following on from  the Great British Spring Clean, Keep Britain Tidy are running the Great Plastic Pick Up 11-13 May 2018.

You can get involved and join us in helping to keep the borough clean by organising a community ‘clean-up’ in your local area. Camden Council’s depot at 211 Arlington Road NW1 7HD will be a ‘Plastic Pick Up’ bag distribution centre and can also lend gloves and litter pickers.

Make sure to register your event

If you are organising  a Plastic Pick up and want to collect bags, or would like to know more, please email

Clean Camden app

You can report cleansing issues from the Clean Camden app by downloading it free of charge on the following app stores:

Clean Camden is an ongoing campaign to crack down on littering, dog fouling and fly-tipping. We hope that residents and businesses will get involved and join us in helping to keep the borough clean. Last autumn we worked with Keep Britain Tidy and their national campaign #CrimeNotToCare

Did you know:

You can report fly-tipping online

If you prefer, you can email: or phone: 020 7974 2202.

How to dispose of your rubbish responsibly

Did you know you are legally responsible for any household rubbish produced on your property? This is called your ‘duty of care’. You could face an unlimited fine if your rubbish gets fly-tipped and you cannot prove that you took reasonable steps to prevent this. Don’t get caught out.

Waste from your home

If you arrange for any rubbish or recycling to be taken from your home you must make sure it is only passed to an authorised person such as a registered waste carrier or taken to a site that is legally allowed to accept the rubbish or recycling you bring.
Only take your rubbish to an authorised waste site, preferably, the Regis Road Household Recycling Centre. The centre is open daily from 8.45am to 4.15pm. Please remember the site is for household rubbish only.  For more information on its policies and what it accepts see its website or call 020 3620 4026.
If you are using a private company for the removal of your household, garden or DIY waste, please remember to ask for their waste carrier number. Alternatively details can be checked on the public register of waste carriers, or you can call the Environment Agency on: 03708 506 506.

Always ask the waste carrier you have arranged to remove your rubbish what exactly is going to happen to your rubbish once they take it away and get evidence that it is going to be disposed of appropriately. A legitimate, professional waste carrier who wants your business should not object to being asked reasonable questions.
Finally make sure you get a proper invoice and receipt for your rubbish removal and keep this as proof that you have legally disposed of your rubbish.
Make sure you dispose of your regular household rubbish correctly
Ensure you recycle as much as you can using only your dedicated Camden branded recycling containers. Find out what you can recycle here.

Please place your rubbish out on your collection day, at the correct time and in your Camden branded bag or bin. If you don’t do this, your waste may not be collected  and you could get an enforcement notice from the Council. Find out when your collection day is here.

Out and about

Please sure you dispose of your rubbish in a litter bin when you are out on the move. Even better, recycle it if it is recyclable. Did you know that many of Camden’s litter bins are dual purpose for both recyclable and non-recyclable litter? Camden also has some dedicated on-street recycling bins, so please use them.

We have zero tolerance to litter and you could get a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) of £80 if you are caught littering.

Commercial waste

All businesses in the UK are legally obliged to have and maintain a waste Duty of Care.

  • Environmental regulations say that every establishment or business which produces waste, no matter where it is based, has the responsibility for managing it properly. Visit the Right Waste Right Place website to find out about your responsibilities
  • Trade (commercial) waste is not accepted at any of our household recycling and refuse centres (HRRCs), however there are some local facilities that do accept trade waste. You can find a list here.
  • Please note that this list has been provided in good faith, but should not be taken as exhaustive, nor as an endorsement of the companies listed. We would always advise you to make your own research into which authorised waste carrier is best for you and your business.
  • All commercial waste that is presented on the public highway for collection by a waste contractor must without fail be properly enclosed in branded containers or sacks displaying the name and contact phone number of the chosen contractor and left next to the business premises where it was produced. This helps to show that the waste has been properly managed and accounted for.
  • Our education enforcement team routinely inspects roads for unauthorised deposits of waste. This can be waste in black bags, waste not contained properly overflowing from bins or loose cardboard in addition to fly tips. Failure to comply with the Environmental Protection Act concerning your waste can land you in trouble. It can also have a negative impact on the local environment.
  • If you do not contain and present your recycling and waste in branded commercial bags or bins, a Section 47 notice may be issued to you or your business. Branded tape can be used on neatly bundled piles of cardboard: you will need to check with your service provider on the accepted weight per tape or bag.
  • A Section 47 notice will tell the recipient how, where and when waste should be presented. If you don’t do what the Section 47 notice tells you to, you may get a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for £80.
  • Our education and enforcement team routinely asks businesses for information about their business premises’ waste Duty of Care by using Section 34 notices. The Section 34 notice requires the person who receives it to provide documents about the waste disposal arrangements for their business premises over a specific period of time. If you do not comply with the Section 34 notice and produce the documentation you are asked for within the 10 day request period, you may get an FPN for £300.
  • It is strictly forbidden for businesses to use the on-street or estates recycling bins provided by Camden Council. These are intended for municipal usage only. They do not have the capacity to handle commercial recycling or waste.
  • Any commercial rubbish found dumped in the council’s recycling bins or on the street will be investigated and treated as fly tipping under Section 33 (1)(a) of the Environmental Protection Act 1980.
  • If you do not pay an FPN, you will be taken to court for prosecution where the penalties could be much higher.
  • For further information on waste Enforcement in Camden please click here.

Download: Clean up guidance (PDF 85KB)

Download: Camden clean up kit application form (Word document)

Download: Capital Clean Up toolkit (PDF 8MB).

Reporting hotspots and offenders

Please let us know if you spot a place that needs our attention or person who is not helping our attempts to rid the borough of dog fouling, littering or flying-tipping. The more information you can give us, the easier it is for us to deal with the problem effectively. You don’t need to give your name, but please do give us as much information as possible including times of day, addresses, a description of the offender, nature of the offence or vehicle registrations.

You don’t need to give your name, but please do give us as much information as possible including times of day, addresses, a description of the offender, nature of the offence or vehicle registrations.


Q. How do I report dumped rubbish?

A. You can report a fly-tip by emailing us at or phone Contact Camden on 020 7974 2202.

Q. Can I report dumped rubbish anonymously?

A. Yes you can report dumped rubbish anonymously by calling our Contact Camden on 020 7974 2202.

Q. What do I do if I see someone dumping rubbish?

A. Do not approach them. Call us on 020 7974 2202 to report them, or email us at

Q. Can I provide the Council with information about rubbish hotspots in my local area?

A. Yes you can tell us about places in the borough that are often used for dumping rubbish. If you think you know who is doing it please provide us with as much information as possible. To do this email us at

Q. What action will you take against dumping rubbish?

A. We have recently started using  Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs). People who get an FPN are fined £200, but we also aim to prosecute those who dump rubbish including persistent offenders. Prosecution can lead to fines of up to £50,000.

Q. How quickly do I have to pay an FPN?

A. You have 14 days to pay an FPN, and if you pay within 10 days, the fine is reduced to £150.

Q. What if I have a large item such as a piece of furniture, that I can’t put out with my usual rubbish?

A. We can arrange to collect large items separately. Details are here

Further information

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.