Information for council tenants and leaseholders

If you are a Camden Council tenant or leaseholder who has reported a noisy neighbour we can also look at taking action to enforce the Camden Council tenancy conditions or lease.  We only do this as a last resort when other avenues have been explored.

In most cases we will make contact with the person causing the noise about the complaint. If we cannot it may prove impossible for us to deal with the complaint successfully.

If the nature of the complaint is low level domestic noise, which is more due to the structure of the building than unreasonableness of your neighbour, the council might be unable to take action.  However, if we find that uninsulated laminated flooring is the cause of the level of noise we can ask that this is replaced.

Keep a noise diary

It is very helpful to us if you can start to keep a note of any more incidents of noise by using a noise diary:

download: Noise diary for council tenants and leaseholders (PDF)

Sometimes there may be counter allegations (complaints) about the person who made the complaint. Where it is not clear to us who is at fault, or a negotiated agreement between everyone is needed, we may offer mediation which can help this to happen. We can discuss this with you and make a referral on your behalf.

If legal action does become necessary you may need to give evidence in court, but we can talk to you about support that is available to you if you need it.

If someone has made a complaint about noise coming from your home we have produced a leaflet to give you advice on how to reduce noise from your home.

Formal action

When noise nuisance continues we may need to consider court action. We need consistent, well-recorded evidence to do this.  A noise diary will help you to provide this. The more evidence we have and the more witnesses willing to give evidence, the better chance we have of being able to take successful action.

In certain circumstances we can also arrange for noise monitoring equipment to be installed in your home for short while. You can talk to your housing officer in your ward housing team if you think this might help.

Formal action might be action against a tenant for breaking conditions in their tenancy agreement or a leaseholder for breaking conditions of their lease. Getting an injunction or an undertaking in court may be the most likely outcome. Breaching one of these can result in a fine or imprisonment. For serious noise nuisance cases caused by our tenants we might consider possession proceedings in court which ultimately could lead to their eviction.

ASB support service

If you are needed to attend court we can offer support to you to do this through our ASB support service:

    download: ASB support service Camden fact sheet (PDF)

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.