How councils deal with noise complaints

The government has produced guidance to explain how councils should deal with noise complaints.

This includes detail on specific types of noise, including construction, alarms, and noise at night.

Planning process

We use noise assessments when deciding whether to grant planning permission to new developments.

Types of noise councils aren't responsible for

Train/rail noise

Read guidance from Network Rail about noise on the rail network

Aircraft noise

Read guidance from the Civil Aviation Authority about noise from aircraft

Noise at work

Read guidance from the Health and Safety Executive about noise in your workplace

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.