Welfare rights and benefits


It is important to make sure that you claim all the benefits that you are entitled to. There are different benefits that you may be able to claim depending on your circumstances and whether you are in or out of work, sick or disabled, have caring responsibilities, or you are a young person, an older person or retired.

Some benefits are paid and administered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or HM Revenues and Customs (Tax Credits), and some by the council.

You can use online calculators to find out if you are entitled to any benefits.

Find out more about DWP benefits and Tax Credits

If you are turned down for a benefit you may be able to get help from a local advice agency.

Benefits from Camden Council

Housing Benefit

If you are a Camden resident responsible for paying rent and claiming benefits or on a low income you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. Find out more and make an online application

Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing element may be reduced if you are affected by the benefit cap or have a spare bedroom in your home. Find out more

If you are affected by these reductions you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment, a short-term payment to help pay towards your rent.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax Reduction (CTR) is financial help towards your council tax. Find out more

You may be entitled to council tax reduction if you are claiming Universal Credit, or employed and on low or have nil income.

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve camden.gov.uk. Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.