Performance and stage licences for school age children

When is a licence required?

Application for a licence must be signed by the parents and accompanied by a photograph.

We must be satisfied that arrangements for the supervision and protection of the child are adequate, and that the disruption to the child's education is kept to a minimum.


The legislation which demands this licensing is as follows: The Children and Young Persons Acts 1933 and 1963 The Children (performances) Regulations 1968.

Key issues covered by the regulations are:

  • is the child/young person below minimum school leaving age?
  • do they reside in Camden?
  • is there a charge made for admission? 
  • is it within licensed premises? 
  • is it broadcast on T.V ? 
  • is it intended for filming? 
  • is the child/young person fit to take part? 
  • education; consultation with Headteacher if in school time 
  • is the activity safe?

No licence is required under the following circumstances:

  • no payment made to child and they have not taken part in performances in the previous 6 months on more than 3 days 
  • no payment made to child and performance arranged by school 
  • no payment made to child and performance exempted by Secretary of State e.g. Scout Gang Shows.
Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.