Making a Freedom of Information request

For most queries you should continue to use existing facilities as your first point of contact. There are various council offices within your area that can help:

You may be able to access the information yourself through this website or our publication scheme

How do I make a request for general information?

A Freedom of Information request must:

  • Be in writing (including email, letter, fax, or eform)
  • Include the name of the person requesting the information
  • Include an address for correspondence (a phone number or email address is also useful if we need to clarify your request)
  • A description of the information required
  • If you have a preference, please also tell us what format you would like to receive the information (e.g. in paper, by email etc.)

Under the Environmental Information Regulations you can make a request verbally. We will transcribe this and then we will confirm your request in writing.

Your request does not have to mention the legislation, and you do not have to tell us why you want the information, but the more details you can give, the more effective we can be in providing the information you require.

Please send requests to the Information Access Officer. Alternatively, use the electronic form which is available on the website.

  • contact the Information Access Officer
  • online request for freedom of information
  • What happens next?

    We will acknowledge your request, in the format that it was sent, usually within 5 working days. We will then assess the request and estimate the amount of work involved in answering it.

    The legislation limits the amount of time that an authority has to spend meeting a request to 18 actual working hours. This is plenty of time to deal with most requests but if a request requires the collection and copying of a very large amount of information that is spread across departments, it may take more than 18 hours to provide the information.

    If we are unclear about exactly what you want, or your request is so large that it will take longer than 18 working hours to provide the information, we will contact you to clarify exactly what you need.

    We have a maximum of 20 working days from the day after we receive the request to provide the information. If we need to ask for fees and/or any further information needed to clarify the request we will 'stop the clock' until we have received this.

    Can you refuse my request?

    There are a number of reasons for refusing to provide information, including:

    • We do not hold the information
    • It will take more than 18 working hours to provide the information (we will contact you and try to narrow your requirements)
    • If an exemption applies (see below)

    If any of these apply we will write to you explaining why we cannot provide the information, along with instructions on how to appeal against this decision.


    There is some information that we cannot make publicly available without significantly disrupting the ability of the Council to deliver services, breaching privacy or confidentiality agreements, or endangering public safety. The Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations both have a list of exemptions that can be applied in these circumstances.

    There are 23 exemptions and a full list can be supplied on request, or may be found on our website, or on the Information Commissioner's website ( Some of these do not apply to information held by a local authority.

    Exempt information that we hold includes:

    • Social Care records
    • Information relating to current contract negotiations
    • Disaster response plans as the release of these could endanger public safety
    • Current investigation records whose release would affect our ability to enforce the law

    Embarrassment to the Council is not an exemption.

    Some of the exemptions apply in all circumstances but for others, we have to consider whether it is more in the public interest to release the information than to withhold it.

    If we do decide that an exemption applies we will tell you why, and where relevant, the public interest reasons for doing so. You can appeal against this decision and details of how to do this will be included in our response.

    What will it cost me?

    Most requests under Freedom of Information or the Environmental Information Regulations are met at no cost to the requester. For requests that take less than 18 working hours to process, no charge will be made except for postage and photocopying.

    Photocopying and postage costs are:

    • 10p per page (black and white) or
    • 50p per page (colour) and
    • Actual postage costs

    We do not charge if the total cost is less than £10.

    However, there are some instances where we will require a contribution to the cost of providing the information.

    If a request will take more than 18 working hours to collate the information, we are not obliged to provide the information. In some circumstances we may agree to provide the information but ask the requester to contribute to the cost of meeting the request. In these circumstances, we will charge an hourly rate of £25 after the first 18 working hours.

    You will be advised of any charges before the information is collected. Please make all cheques payable to London Borough of Camden.

    What happens if I'm not happy?

    If you feel that your request has not been handled well, you do not agree that the information will be exempt, or you disagree with the suggested cost of providing the information, you can complain to our Internal Review Panel. Details of how to appeal will be provided with any response to your request:

    The panel sits on a monthly basis and will review your case to ensure that the officers dealing with the original request have done so in line with the requirements of the legislation. If they decide that information should not be exempt then it will be released.

    If you are not satisfied with this decision you can complain to the Information Commissioner (see below) who is independent of the Council.

    Information Commissioner
    Wycliffe House
    Water Lane
    SK9 5AF

    Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

    Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

    Please select one of the options.

    Thank you for your feedback.