Data Protection Act 1998

Under the Data Protection Act, we have a legal requirement to ensure that all personal information is kept secure, accurate, up to date, and is only used for the purposes it was collected.

If you feel that your data is not properly protected or being used in a way that you did not agree to (or where there is no legal mandate for using it) please contact the corporate information access team

You can request to see a copy of the information held about you and to correct any factual inaccuracies. This could include your social care file if we have ever looked after you, or your tenancy file if you are a council tenant. This is known as a Subject Access Request.

If you find that the information held is inaccurate, you should contact the relevant department and ask them to change this.

Can I have everything?

There are some instances where we may not be able to release all of the information we hold about you. For example, if we have received legal advice about your case, under Common Law this is covered by legal professional privilege and remains confidential. We will not release information that is part of a current investigation or contract negotiation with the Council.

Any information about other people, including other members of your family, will be blacked out.

How do I make a Subject Access Request?

To request your personal information (including CCTV footage), you will need to supply proof of identity (e.g. copy of passport, driving licence, or birth certificate), the standard £10 fee, and the following information:

  • Your name (and any previous names)
  • Your address (and any previous addresses from where you have had dealings with us)
  • Details of the Council departments you have dealt with so we can trace the information you require
  • An address for correspondence

Please send all of this to the postal address contained in the link to the right. If you prefer, you can deliver the request by hand and show your proof of identity. Please note that it is a criminal offence to use a false name to obtain information.

The information will be provided in no more than 40 calendar days.

Why do I have to pay?

A standard £10 fee is charged for each Subject Access Request. This fee is set by the legislation to cover the cost of copying and supplying your information. Cheques should be payable to the London Borough of Camden.

We also have a secure e-payment service if you wish to pay by phone: we accept most major credit or debit cards (not Diners Card or American Express).

Contact telephone number: 020 7974 8010      

Opening hours * Monday to Friday: 9am – 4pm*

The transaction is taken within a secure payment system called Capita system. All confidential information held on the system is ‘owned’ by the Income Management and Cash Compliance Service Head, who is responsible for the secure and appropriate use of such information as per the Council’s policies on information handling and the principles of the Data Protection Act.

Privacy compliance

We will treat any personal information by which you can be identified (i.e. name, address, email etc.) in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act of 1998.

If you have an enquiry or concern regarding the processing of personal data by Camden Council, please contact the corporate information access team

If you are not satisfied with our response to your concern you may wish to go to our complaints section

Section 29 requests for information from other organisations

These organisations can submit section 29 requests to prevent/detect crime, or apprehend or prosecute offenders:

  • Police
  • HMRC
  • DWP
  • Child Support Agency
  • Health & Safety Executive
  • Official receiver
  • Solicitors or another acting on a client's behalf
  • Solicitor acting on client's behalf, but asking for another's data
  • Other local authorities or public bodies, acting under authorised powers

Guidance for organisations requesting information under Sections 29

Further information

For more details, please contact:

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.