How can we Help You


Settlement checking service

What is the settlement checking service?  /  What do I need to bring to my appointment?  /  What service will the local authority officers provide?  /  Do I have to pay for the checking service?  /  Can migrants use the settlement checking service before attending a Public Enquiry Office?  /  Will the local authority give me advice about settlement?  /  How can I give feedback on the service?

What is the settlement checking service? 

The settlement checking service is a partnership between the UK Border Agency, and the London Borough of Camden.

If you are applying for settlement in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Remain) on form SET (M) the service will give you assurance that your application form has been completed accurately and you have enclosed the correct fee.  The service will take copies of your original documents allowing you to mostly keep your valuable documents such as passports, marriage certificates and bank statements. Applicants, however should be aware that their biometric cards (if issued) will be sent and they should not travel during the application process. There is no restriction, however, on travel for the spouse or unmarried partner during the application process.  

The settlement checking service will help check your form for mistakes or omissions, and advise about which documents to include in the application for purposes of proving co-habitation and proof of earnings. 

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) has found that the settlement checking service is generally faster than the normal postal application process.  This is due to fewer applications being rejected due to incompleteness or missing documents.

Who can use the settlement checking service?

You can only use the settlement checking service if you are applying on form SET (M) for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.

You cannot use the settlement checking service or apply using a SET (M) form if you are a European Economic Area (EEA) National.  You can find further advice about how to apply for residence on the UK Border Agency website

If you need further information please contact EEA Residency Enquiries on 0845 010 5200.

How do I use the settlement checking service?

The settlement checking service operates on an appointment only basis. To make your appointment, please contact the Camden register office.

The date of your appointment should be no sooner than 28 days before the end of your ‘two year probationary period’. The date of your appointment should also be no later than five days before your current leave expires.

Two year probationary period:

  • If you have an entry clearance visa (issued abroad) the two year probationary period starts from the date your visa was stamped, by the Immigration Officer, when you entered the UK.
  • If you have a residence permit or a biometric residence permit the two year probationary period starts from when you were granted two years leave as a spouse or partner (even if you previously had leave in another category, for example as a student).

Page last updated Apr 16, 2014 12:30 PM

Today I want to...

  • Apply

    Apply for services

  • Report

    Report online

Related Information

Bookmark & Share