Benefits and Money, Help and Advice

Managing your money and financial support

Managing your money

Managing your money can sometimes be difficult. It is useful to use a budgeting tool to help you organise and manage your money easier.

This is simply a record of:

  •  all the money you have coming in (from things like your salary, pensions or benefits) and;

  •  all the payments that you make (such as your rent, bills and Council Tax)

The Money Advice Service has lots of useful information about managing your money and tools such as the budget planner.

Increase your Income

To increase your income, you should check if you are claiming your full benefit entitlement.  There are benefits you may be able to claim if you are in or out of work.


Another way to increase your income would be to find a job or progress within an existing job. For information on employment support in Camden.

Extra help with Rent

If you are claiming Housing Benefit (HB) or the Housing Cost element of Universal Credit (UC), than you might be able to apply for extra short-term financial support. This is called ‘Discretionary Housing Payment’. More information and an application form is available here.

Help with Energy and Water

Local Welfare Assistance

Two types of support are available in Camden: Community support awards and Crisis awards. More information and how to apply can be found here.

Social Funds

The Social Fund is a Government scheme to help people with expenses that are difficult to meet on a low income.

There are several different types of Social Fund benefits. These include:


There are charitable grants available to help people in financial need. You can use the grant search tool from Turn2 Us website. There is information about checking eligibility as well as how to apply on the website.

Food banks

Food banks provide a minimum of three days’ emergency food and support to people in emergency crisis, whether there has been a delay in receiving your benefits or receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. Information and how to get help can be found here.

Borrowing Money

If you need to borrow money, there are some things you should consider before borrowing to avoid falling into further financial difficulties.
Find out more: Before you borrow

London Mutual Credit Union

A credit union is a financial co-operative which provides savings, loans and a range of services to its members. It is owned and controlled by the members. For more information, visit their

Independent Financial Advice

If you have: savings, property, investments or other assets

If you are a homeowner and struggling to pay your major works bill, you could seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser for all the financial options available to you. You may have to pay for this service. More information about Independent Financial Advice

Would you like to provide feedback?(Click to show feedback form)

Please rate this page to help us improve Please don't include your contact details as we are unable to provide responses via this form. To get in touch please click here.

Please select one of the options.

Thank you for your feedback.