Support from your council

Camden council provides 2 main types of regular benefit to residents:

Housing benefit

If you’re a Camden resident and are responsible for paying rent, claiming benefits, or you’re on a low income, you may be entitled to housing benefit. 

Council tax reduction

If you’re a Camden resident and are claiming Universal Credit, and if you’re employed on a low income or not receiving any income, you may be entitled to a council tax reduction.

Food banks

Food banks provide food and support to people in emergency crisis. This could include a delay in receiving your benefits, or receiving an unexpected bill on a low income.

Camden food bank:

Tuesday 11.30am – 3.30pm
Friday 11.30am – 3.30pm

Euston food bank:

Tuesday 12 noon - 4pm
Thursday 5.30pm - 7pm
Saturday 11am - 12.30pm
Sunday 2pm - 3.30pm

Chalk Farm food bank:

Thursday 10.30am-12pm

Maiden Lane community centre food bank:

Wednesday 2pm – 4pm
Saturday 1.30pm – 3.30pm

Charitable grants

Search for charitable grants which are available to help people in financial need:


Local Welfare Assistance Scheme

The Local Welfare Scheme is funded by Camden Council. This provides residents living in the borough that meet the eligibility criteria with Crisis Payments and Community Support awards. This is a cash limited scheme which means that we cannot assist everyone that applies. 

The Local Welfare Assistance Scheme (PDF) policy contains further information about the scheme and the eligibility criteria.

How to apply for Local Welfare Assistance Scheme:

If you have recently moved into a council property and would like to apply for assistance, you will need to contact your Housing Officer on 0207 974 4444.

If you have a Support Worker from Camden Floating Support Service, a Welfare Rights or Debt Advisor assisting you from the council Welfare Rights Teams, they can make an application on your behalf and they will discuss this with you.

If you are not a council tenant, you can seek advice and apply for a crisis payment by contacting any of the following advice agencies: