Skip to main content


This is the improved Camden website. Find out what's new.


Asbestos Advice

We offer advice to residents and business on what to do if it is thought that asbestos may be present in a building. Our inspectors may visit the premises to confirm the presence of asbestos and advise on procedures for removal and disposal.

Contractors are required to notify the enforcing authority prior to the removal of asbestos. Any building built before 1980 should be surveyed ahead of any building works.

Find out more information on how to manage asbestos on the health and safety executive website.

Disposal of asbestos waste

Asbestos can only be removed by a specialist contractor.

For advice about asbestos removal from commercial premises and any further information contact the compliance and enforcement team.

All asbestos waste should be double-bagged in heavy duty polythene bags and clearly labelled with labels prescribed for asbestos before it is transported to a site licensed to receive it.

How to find a specialist contractor?

To find a specialist contractor visit

Contractors wishing to remove asbestos have to, by law, notify the relevant enforcing authority. For example, the local authority or the Health and Safety Executive. Licensed contractors usually have the necessary forms or are obtainable from the Health and Safety Executive. Contractors will need to send in copies of their current licence, insurance, notification form and method statement. We may decide whether to visit the premises.

Please refer to the HSE guidance for more information.

Asbestos do's and don'ts

  • Always presume any suspect material contains asbestos unless there is evidence to suggest it does not.
  • Don't panic if you think you have asbestos in your home - it's usually only a problem if it's disturbed.
  • Do treat asbestos with respect.
  • Don't drill, saw or disturb materials that contain asbestos.
  • Do seek advice if you think you've got a problem with asbestos in your home.

Useful Health Safety Executive advice for businesses

If you run a business, it is important to be aware of new legal duties to manage asbestos in all non-domestic buildings, including the common areas of residential rented properties.

Please refer to the HSE guidance

The duty to manage asbestos

You may be responsible to manage asbestos or to cooperate with the management of asbestos, if for example you are a dutyholder or you are the owner or occupier of a building.

More information on asbestos and the "duty to manage" is available from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website.

Download leaflets on asbestos and the "duty to manage"