Skip to main content

Change your name by deed poll

This is the improved Camden website. Tell us what you think.

Change your name by deed poll

What is a deed poll?

A deed poll is a legal document that binds an individual to a particular course of action. The most common use of a deed poll is to change a name. A deed poll commits you to the following actions:

  • to renounce and abandon the use of your former name(s)
  • to use your new name(s) at all times
  • requires everybody to address you only by your new name(s)


Anyone over the age of 16 can change their name by deed poll. If you are aged over 16 years but not yet 18 years old, the process is the same as it is for an adult. You do not need the consent of whoever has parental responsibility for you. Please book an appointment and come with relevant ID and a witness.


A person who has parental responsibility must apply for the name change on behalf of the child. Camden only completes a deed poll service where all parents mentioned on a birth certificate (or organisations) that have parental rights and responsibilities over the child are able to attend and agree to the name change. Please book an appointment and come with relevant ID and a witness.

How much does a deed poll cost?

  • Monday to Friday 9am to 3.30pm: £62
  • Additional copy of document: £12.60 

You cannot obtain further copies afterwards, so make sure you order as many as you need at the time you sign your deed poll

When would I need to use a deed poll?

For most purposes a deed poll will be accepted to change documents, but there are some important exceptions. Birth and marriage certificates cannot be changed.

However, your deed poll together with your birth certificate will be sufficient for the passport office to issue you with a passport in the new name. 

If the purpose of your deed poll is to alter a particular document it is important to check first with the issuer that a change will be allowed.

Though these deed poll documents are accepted for changing documents in the United Kingdom, if you are using them to change documents in other countries, it is important to check with the respective authorities.

What about my name can I change?

You can:

  • change your entire name
  • add or remove surnames, forenames and middle names
  • rearrange your names
  • alter spellings of names

Although the possibilities are almost limitless there are some basic conditions that your new name will have to meet. On the whole these restrictions are to ensure that you will not have problems when changing documents such as your passport.

We will not accept names in the following circumstances:

  • If the name is offensive.
  • If the name is impossible to pronounce.
  • If the name contains numbers, symbols or punctuation marks.  Apostrophes are accepted in the context of a name (such as O’Neill) as are hyphens to link two names together (such as Smith-Johnson).
  • Recognized accents are accepted, but be aware that the use of accents in the UK is not widespread and confusion can arise if they are inconsistently used.
  • The name must contain at least one forename and at least one surname.
  • You may not add a title such as Lord or Duke unless you can provide documentary proof of your entitlement to usage.  Purchased titles are not accepted.
  • Academic titles such as Professor will only be included if documentary proof is provided.  Purchased qualifications will not be accepted.
  • Amusing names can be accepted, but you should consider carefully if this will have consequences in your personal or professional life.

The conditions listed above are guidelines and the acceptance or refusal of a name is at the discretion of the Registering Officer.

Do I really need to change my name by deed poll?

In theory, you could change your name simply by starting to use a new one. This is called a name change by usage. The main problem with this method is that many organisations will only change your name if you produce substantial documentary evidence of the name change.

There are times when a deed poll is not needed to change a name:

  • After marriage or civil partnership. A woman who wants to change her surname to that of her husband uses her marriage certificate. A civil partner uses their civil partnership certificate to change their surname
  • After divorce. A woman can revert to her maiden surname by using her decree absolute
  • After being widowed. A woman reverting to her maiden name after being widowed can use her late husband’s death certificate together with her marriage certificate to change her name. 

How do I apply for a deed poll?

You will need to book an appointment. 

Ensure you bring a suitable witness and the appropriate evidence of your identity to your appointment. 

When changing a child's name, if there are two parents named on the child's birth certificate, both must attend to change the child's name. In all instances a witness is also required. 

Book an appointment