Amend your permit

Add a courtesy vehicle to your permit

You can replace your main vehicle with a courtesy vehicle for a period of 14 days at a time, up to 5 times a year. Once your main vehicle is returned, the courtesy vehicle must be removed to be able to park it again.

Please see the terms and conditions. Upload to your Camden Account a letter from the company confirming the vehicle has been allocated to you, or a lease agreement if the vehicle is on hire.

Change or add a vehicle to your permit

  • Upload your V5C document to your Camden Account
  • You may have to pay more if your new vehicle is on a higher tariff, or you may receive a refund if your new vehicle is on a lower tariff.

If you have more than one vehicle on your permit, you will need to nominate the vehicle using the permit on your account. This will need to be done every time a change is made.

Change my address within Camden

You can change your address on your Camden Account. You may need to upload proof of address.

Cancel and refund of your permit

If you move out of Camden, dispose of or sell your vehicle, you can apply for a refund of the remainder of your parking permit. A refund for a cancelled permit will be calculated based on the number of full months remaining on your permit. Charges for 2nd and 3rd vehicles and the diesel surcharge are non-refundable.

Before applying for a refund, please ensure you have cancelled the permit on your account. This will calculate the correct amount due and will return you to this page allowing you to complete the refund request. Log in to your Camden account.

Do not apply for a refund if your V5C has not been uploaded to your permit account or if the permit has been cancelled by us for a breach of the terms and conditions, such as not meeting the qualifying criteria when applying or renewing your permit.

Apply for a parking refund

You will have 30 minutes to complete the application. Refunds will normally be made back to the card used for payment. If the payment card has been cancelled or you have been asked to provide bank details, please select the expired card option when asked. 

Refunds may take up to 28 days to process.