Adult Social Care

We understand that this is a worrying time for people with care and support needs, and for those who care for someone.

As a Council we will do all we can to support you through this period of uncertainty. We have robust plans in place to keep vital services running during this period. We will continue supporting people who need care and support to manage their physical and mental health.

If you, or someone you know, needs some support from Adult Social Care in Camden:

Advice for residents who are more at risk from coronavirus

If you are over the age of 60 or have a health condition which makes you ‘clinically vulnerable’, you could be at a higher risk of getting seriously ill from coronavirus.

You should:

  • be especially careful to follow the guidance and minimise your contact with others
  • continue to wash your hands carefully and more frequently than usual, and frequently clean areas that are often touched in your home.

For a full list of the health conditions which can result in higher risks associated with coronavirus, and for the guidance in full, see this page of the Government guidance.

Advice for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable

Specific medical conditions place some people at greatest risk of severe illness from coronavirus. People with these conditions are classified as ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’.

If you are clinically extremely vulnerable, the government will write to you to ask you to resume shielding. This means that you should stay at home as much as possible - but you are encouraged to leave your house to exercise, because it is good for your physical and mental health. Please make sure you continue to follow public health advice. You should also continue to attend medical appointments.

If you haven't already done so, please register for the Government's shielding support service. This will allow you to register for a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you already have one you will be able to keep it) and register for local support. You will need your NHS number to apply, which you can find at the top of the letter from the government. If you need any support to register, please call us on 020 7974 4444 (option 9).

You are strongly advised to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you should not go to work. To support your income, you may be able to be put on furlough or access Statutory Sick Pay or Employment Support Allowance. You can apply for both of these benefits at the same time online at or by calling Job Centre Plus on 0800 169 0350. If you are worried about losing your job, or have an employment-related question, you can access advice through a local voluntary sector organisation. Find out more at

Advice for those living with somebody more at risk from COVID-19

If you live with somebody who is at increased risk of illness from COVID-19, you should follow Public Health England’s advice to reduce the risk of them becoming ill. You should also follow new government advice on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable from COVID-19.

Accessing food and supplies if you are more at risk from coronavirus

If you need support accessing food or essential supplies such as medication there are a range of options available to you:

  • If you are clinically extremely vulnerable to COVID-19, or caring for someone who is, you can register for the Government’s online service to get access to priority supermarket deliveries, access support, and update your details (for example, your address). Visit
  • The NHS Volunteer Responders Programme continue to provide support with food, prescriptions and essential items to anyone who is self-isolating for any reason. Contact them by calling 0808 196 3646 or visiting their website.
  • You can find details of further support and advice available from the Government at
  • You can also find out more about accessing local support in Camden here.

If you receive care at home

Advice for people who receive care at home arranged through Adult Social Care

We are working closely with our home care providers to ensure that they can continue to provide care for everybody who needs it. This includes having plans in place to ensure the most vulnerable people receive vital care as the situation develops.

If you are concerned about this, please speak to your allocated worker or contact Adult Social Care via email or phone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1).

Home care providers are following Public Health England advice on steps for home care providers to maintain delivery of care.

Advice for people who arrange care at home directly through an agency

All home care providers have business continuity plans in place to ensure they are able to continue to provide the care you need, which they will be able to share with you. If the agency you use is unable to provide the care you need, and you are worried about what this means for you, please contact Adult Social Care via email or phone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1).

All home care providers are following Public Health England advice on steps for home care providers to maintain delivery of care.

Advice for people who arrange care via a Direct Payment (Personal Assistants)

If any of your Personal Assistants (PAs) become ill they should not be providing you with care.

We can support you to review your contingency plans so that you can continue to receive care if your PAs are sick or self-isolating. Contact Personalisation Support in Camden (PSIC) for support via email or phone: 020 7383 4901 (option 1).

If you develop symptoms of COVID-19, there are things your Personal Assistant (PA) should do to protect themselves and to reduce the risk of transmission. They should read Public Health England’s new advice for maintaining delivery of care in people’s homes for more information and advice.

There are steps that home care workers can take to reduce the risk of transmission. This includes the care worker carrying out safe cleaning and washing practices, and using personal protective equipment (PPE). For more information and advice see Public Health England’s advice for people providing home care.

If you provide care for a person you live with

If you provide care for a person you live with and you become ill, it is understandable that it is very difficult to distance yourself from them altogether.

If at all possible, you should seek alternative care arrangements which mean you avoid coming into contact with the person you care for.

It is also important that you reduce your contact with people outside your household. You could see if there are neighbours, family or friends who might be able to help with household tasks such as shopping and collecting medication. Deliveries should be left at the door for you to collect without coming into contact with the person dropping them off. Consider online shopping if you can.

If you or the person you care for has underlying health conditions which become worse during or after the isolation period you should seek medical advice by contacting your GP or calling 111.

We understand that this is a worrying and difficult time. Below are some places you can go for support:

  • Visit the Carers UK website for information on what to do if you’re worried about your situation
  • For advice and support contact Camden Carers via phone on 020 7428 8950 or email at
  • If you or the person you care for is over 55 and needs support accessing food, Age UK Camden are offering emergency food parcels. Contact them via phone on 020 7239 0400
  • Meet other carers for supportive virtual chats through Mobilise – a group of carers coming together for an ‘online cuppa’. Join Mobilise for free on their website.

If you have any urgent concerns about providing care please contact Adult Social Care via email or phone: 020 7974 4000 (option 1).

Visiting people in residential care or supported living

Visiting people in a care home

Care homes and care home providers are updating their policies to enable residents to be allowed to receive visits from their family and friends in a COVID-secure way during the current national restrictions. We are working hard as a council to support local care homes and providers to implement the Government guidance on this.

Please check directly with individual care homes about their visiting policy before making any visiting arrangements.

If you are not able to visit, or not as often as you would like, you can talk to the care home about ways to stay in touch with friends and family, for example by phone, post or using the internet.

Visiting people in extra care or supported living accommodation

Extra Care and Supported Living schemes are required to follow the national guidance on limiting movement and not meeting indoors. This is understandably a difficult time for family and friends of residents in extra care or supported living accommodation. You should speak to the service directly to arrange to stay in touch with residents such as by telephone, post or using the internet.

Please contact the service for further information on their visiting policy.

Visit Camden Care Choices for more information and updates on Adult Social Care in Camden.

Contact us for support

Support and help near me