Accessing local health services
Breathe, your local stop smoking service
Your local stop smoking service, Breathe, is still here to help you stop smoking, offering all their support over the phone. Call 020 36332609 or visit breathestopsmoking.org. You can also get My Quit Route app to help you stay motivated 24/7. It’s available via the app store or on Google Play and it’s free for Camden and Islington residents.
Looking for some extra support?
- Sign up to regular motivational texts from Stop Smoking London as well: stopsmokinglondon.com/textme
- For stop smoking support out of hours, call the Stop Smoking London helpline on 0300 123 1044, available seven days a week at the following times: Monday to Friday 9am-8pm, Saturday and Sunday 11am-4pm.
- Looking for support to stop smoking in another language? Stop Smoking London’s online information and motivational texts are available in several languages, including Turkish. Find out more at https://stopsmokinglondon.com/
Support with substance misuse
Services are still open and can offer advice, support and guidance for anyone who is worried about their own substance misuse or concerned about friends and family members’ drug or alcohol use. These services can also assist in signposting residents to virtual mutual aid groups including Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and SMART Recovery, which is a peer led support group.
If you have been identified as someone who needs to be shielded, drug and alcohol services can still offer you support and advice. Please contact the services (contact details below) where someone will be able to discuss how you can access support.
- Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust Drug and Alcohol Services
- Change, Grow, Live – Camden – Community Drug Service
- Change, Grow, Live – Camden – Alcohol Service
- Contact the Single Homeless Project Recovery Service at email@example.com
Camden and Islington residents can also take a free online self-assessment on the Lower My Drinking website and download the Lower My Drinking app (IOS and Android) to access support to track and reduce drinking.
Support from sexual health services
This service is still here to support you, having adapted to a phone triage system for anyone requesting an appointment.
- Walk-in services are still available for those in need of emergency care.
- Medication and contraception can be posted out after a teleconsultation.
North Central London Abortion Services
This service is still accessible to support you, with telephone assessments being used as appropriate to support and triage women.
For support contact the booking service on 0333 999 9951.
This service is still available, having adapted to operating a telephone consultation system with booked appointments where needed. Please call before going to a clinic. You can still access:
emergency and regular contraception
testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections
pregnancy testing, advice and referral for abortion if that’s what you chose
Postal contraception, emergency contraception and pregnancy tests are available for anyone 25 and under who is shielding. STI home testing kits are available regardless of age and can be accessed by registering online at www.SHL.uk.
Support with mental health
- For 24/7 urgent help in a mental health crisis please contact the local Crisis helpline freephone on 0800 917 3333
- You can also call the Samaritans free on 116 123 (open 24/7) or text SHOUT to 85258
- Emergency and same day GP appointments are also available for urgent needs. Please call your GP.
iCOPE provides confidential psychological therapy service for people over the age of 18 registered with a Camden or Islington GP. They are still:
- Offering assessment and treatment sessions by telephone, video or on-line support
- Offering specific support for COVID-related distress / anxiety, including a rapid response well-being phone call, webinar based workshops and a brief intervention designed to help improve your coping skills.
Manor Gardens wellbeing service can provide support over the phone over the phone.
For more information about local mental health and wellbeing support services in Camden visit the Mental health in Camden website
Emergency and same day GP appointments are also available for urgent needs. Please call your GP.
You can find more information about looking after your mental health during COVID-19 on our mental health and wellbeing page.
Children and young people
Kooth is a free, safe and anonymous online counselling and emotional well-being platform available to all children and young people aged 11-18 in Camden. The service provides online support and can be accessed through mobile, tablet and desktop.
Dental practices are now able to open. Practices will need to prioritise patients with the most urgent need.
If you need help from a dentist:
- Contact your dental practice by phone or email
- You will be given advice or offered an appointment if appropriate
- For urgent dental care you can also use the NHS 111 online service
Please do not visit your practice unless you have been advised to. This well make sure the practice can continue to provide care safely.