Early years funding
The Government is reducing Camden’s early years funding and also making changes
to how the funding can be used by councils. Because of this, Camden Council can no
longer afford to continue its current ‘enhanced’ early years offer.
Currently in Camden, all three and four year olds are entitled to a free 15 hour a week nursery place. The Council also provides an extra 15 hours for all these children (in its school and Council-run nurseries) – taking the ‘enhanced’ total to 30 hours a week.
From September 2017, the Government proposes that all three and four year olds
will continue to be entitled to a free 15 hour nursery place, but new national policies
mean some families will no longer qualify for the additional 15 hours a week. However,
there is a new Government offer of a further 15 hours for working families as well
as a revised Camden ‘enhanced’ offer.
To be eligible for the Government’s offer of 30 hours’ free nursery provision for 3 and 4 year olds:
- both parents, or the sole parent in a one parent family, must be working
- each parent must have a weekly minimum income equivalent to 16 hours at the national minimum wage or living wage, and
- neither parent must have income of more than £100,000 per year
out if you are eligible here
The Council’s revised offer of 30 hours’ free nursery provision for 3 and 4 year olds in Camden
Camden Council believes we can still afford to fund an additional 15 hours for some of those who look set to miss out, targeting the available finances at those we believe will benefit the most. The criteria for this revised ‘enhanced’ offer in Camden would be the same as for free two year old places (except it would be targeted at three and four year olds).
From September, if you have a child aged 3 or 4 the new offers will be:
- 15 hours for all families, or
- an additional 15 hours (30 hours in total) for working families. This is the new Government offer (see eligibility criteria), or
- an additional 15 hours (30 hours in total) if your family meets the current criteria for two year old free nursery provision. This is the new Camden offer.
Find out more
- Contact your local childcare provider or visit our childcare web pages
- If you have any questions, please contact our family information service
- For general information about all the above childcare offers visit the national