West End Project
The project will transform the Tottenham Court Road area, making it safer and more attractive for residents, boosting business and creating new public spaces.
There will be a big increase in people coming to the area with the opening of the Tottenham Court Road Crossrail station in December 2018 and we need to make sure the area is safe and welcoming.
The one-way system will be replaced with two-way tree lined streets, some protected cycle lanes and new public spaces. The scheme will reduce congestion and pollution, widen pavements and make journeys quicker.
The £38 million project will unlock the area’s potential, boosting business and creating new public spaces for the community and visitors to enjoy. The two-way system will be delivered in time for the opening of Crossrail, when Tottenham Court Road station will be busier than Heathrow Airport.
Who was consulted?
In order to develop the West End Project proposals for consultation, officers worked with local residents’ groups and businesses, Transport for London, Crossrail, Camden Cycling Campaign, Inmidtown and the Fitzrovia Partnership Business Improvement Districts, London First and the City of Westminster.
Pre-consultation engagement was held with local groups and businesses and at the
Bloomsbury Area Action Group during March 2014 to give people the opportunity to comment
on draft proposals for consultation. The formal public consultation was held between
9 June and 1 August 2014. To read all the comments received as part of the public
consultation, please see Appendix A of the decision report:
Cabinet approved the West End Project on 21 January 2015 with some amendments:
- Stepped cycle lanes on Gower Street/Bloomsbury Street, widened to 1.75m or 2m
- Adding new cycle link and crossing between Coptic St and Grape St
- Tavistock Place/Torrington Place east-west traffic reduction
- Working with local businesses, residents and TfL on a trial re-timing delivery and servicing on Tottenham Court Road, Gower Street/Bloomsbury Street and New Oxford Street
The transport and public realm proposals are:
- Making Tottenham Court Road two-way for buses and cycles between 8am and 7pm from Monday to Saturday
- Between 7pm and 8am Monday to Saturday and on Sundays all vehicles, including taxis, will have access to the whole length of Tottenham Court Road
- Making Gower Street two-way for all traffic, with stepped cycle lanes
- Six new or improved open spaces.