West End project
We are in the process of updating these pages, please email to subscribe to our e-newsletter to keep up-to-date with the West End Project.
The West End Project was approved by Camden’s Cabinet on 21 January 2015.
The ambitious project will transform the Tottenham Court Road area, making it safer and more attractive for residents, boosting business and creating new public spaces for the community and visitors to enjoy.
The one-way system operating on Tottenham Court Road, Gower Street, Bloomsbury
Street and Charing Cross Road will be removed and replaced with two-way streets and
some protected cycle lanes. The scheme will reduce pollution, widen pavements and
make journeys quicker.
There will be a big increase in people coming to the area with the opening of the Tottenham Court Road Crossrail station in December 2018 and we need to make sure the area is safe and welcoming.Who was consulted?
In order to develop the West End Project proposals for consultation, officers worked with local residents’ groups and businesses, Transport for London, Crossrail, Camden Cycling Campaign, Inmidtown and the Fitzrovia Partnership Business Improvement Districts, London First and the City of Westminster.
Pre-consultation engagement was held with local groups and businesses and at the
Bloomsbury Area Action Group during March 2014 to give people the opportunity to comment
on draft proposals for consultation. The formal public consultation was held between
9 June and 1 August 2014. To read all the comments received as part of the public
consultation, please see Appendix A of the decision report:
Cabinet approved the West End Project on 21 January 2015 with some amendments:
- Stepped cycle lanes on Gower Street/Bloomsbury Street, widened to 1.75m or 2m
- Adding new cycle link and crossing between Coptic St and Grape St
- Working with local businesses, residents and TfL on a trial re-timing delivery and servicing on Tottenham Court Road, Gower Street/Bloomsbury Street and New Oxford Street
The transport and public realm proposals are:
- Making Tottenham Court Road two-way for buses and cycles between 8am and 7pm from Monday to Saturday
- Between 7pm and 8am from Monday to Saturday and on Sundays all vehicles, including taxis, will have access to the whole length of Tottenham Court Road
- Making Gower Street two-way for all traffic, with stepped cycle lanes
- Six new or improved open spaces.
We will continuously keep residents, businesses and other organisations updated
with any disruptions anticipated during the transformation.