Children's and Young People's Library Service
Library services to children and young people
Joining the library
Any child up to the age of 12 can join the library free of charge. Ask the staff to show you how to complete the form online. If you as a parent/carer are already a member of the library and you would like to join your child you do not need to show proof of address just complete the online form. If you are with your child we will accept this as a guarantee.
For young people over the age of 11, there are two types of membership, 12 to 14 and 15 to 17.
All children and young people under the age of 18 need an adult guarantor to join the library unless they are married/ co-habiting, living independently, or in full time education. Young people over the age of 12 have to pay some charges but not fines on books or reservation charges. Details on charges.
• Each library has a children’s section.
• Each library has a collection has books for every age up to the age of 12.
• Each child can borrow up to 20 books, and up to 6 DVDs and 4 talking books.
There is a selection of children and young people's titles in our e library
Children up to 4 years
• For pre-school children there are Baby Bounces and Rhyme Times in every library.
download: Rhyme Time and Baby Bounce sessions in Camden libraries (PDF 55 KB)
Children 4 to 11 years
• For school aged children there are books which support homework, hobbies and interests and books for different levels of reading ability.
• We run the Summer Reading Challenge every year. This aims to help maintian children’s literacy over the summer break, encourages a love of reading and is fun to take part in.
12 years plus /young people
• Each library site has a separate section for 12 plus.
• Swiss Cottage library has extensive study space for exam times and larger collections of subject books than other Camden libraries.
You can check Love Camden for details of library activities. You will need to search by library, post code and type of activity.
Note for parents and carers
We strongly advise that children are supervised in public spaces. It is our policy that and all children under the age of eight years must be accompanied by a parent or carer, or a responsible adult known to the child.