Swiss Cottage Gallery
'What Are They Like?'
Illustrations of People in the Public Eye
by House of Illustration
5 April to 25 May 2013
‘What Are They Like?’ is the follow-up to House of Illustration’s original exhibition ‘What Are You Like?.’ The idea is taken from a Victorian parlour game of describing yourself with images of your favourite things like a cryptic visual essay/self-portrait.
In 2012, House of Illustration developed this idea further and asked 16 celebrities, including: David Walliams, Michael Morpurgo, Joanna Lumley, Jamie Lee Curtis and Florence Welch to provide a list of their favourite things. A range of contemporary illustrators then illustrated these favourite things.
The resulting original works were exhibited and auctioned at Sotheby’s in December 2012 to support the work of the House of Illustration. The facsimile works on show here were created following the auction.
During the exhibition, House of Illustration will be running two free drop in family workshops:
Tuesday 9 April, 14.-16.30
‘Exquisite Corpse’ workshop
Illustrator Mark Oliver will introduce this fun surrealist drawing game using answers from What Are They Like? questions to inspire ink and pencil drawings. Families will be able to work together to create a range of unique characters, portraits, totem poles or even landscapes. Free, max 25 participants.
Thursday 11 April, 14.-16.30
Illustrator Merlin Evans will be running a workshop. Hear about the fascinating history and art of silhouette portraiture and learn how to create them through drawing and paper cutting. Free, max 25 participants.
The Gallery programme
- Solo exhibitions by artists living and working in the borough area- and beyond- reflecting the contemporary visual arts community of Camden and the visual art and design institutions in the borough. Email your proposal to email@example.com
- Exhibitions that draw attentions to the artistic history of Camden and artists that have lived or worked in the borough
- Annual Architecture exhibition usually coinciding for Architecture Week
- Annual Young Persons exhibition
- One exhibition every twelve months profiling a community group or artists association working in the borough
- One exhibition as part of Camden Council’s programme to mark the 2012 Cultural Olympiad
Swiss Cottage Gallery policy and guidance
Page last updated Apr 2, 2013 10:10 AM
Today I want to...
- Museum Mile
- Film Office
- Contact arts and tourism
- Visit London
- Swiss Cottage Gallery
- Arts Council England
- Love Camden