Camden Design Awards
This Year's Awards
The results are in…
Nearly 60 schemes were submitted at the start of 2015 with 30 schemes then making
it through to the shortlist. The judging panel went on to assess each of the shortlisted
schemes before choosing 8 award winners and 5 highly commended
schemes’. Full details can be viewed in the online brochure below.
- Camden Design Awards 2015 brochure (link to PDF – 9MB)
Individual details for each of the schemes are also set out below.
- Netherhall Gardens (link to PDF – 555KB)
- Levring House (link to PDF – 561KB)
- Mount Pleasant Studios (link to PDF – 646KB)
- 5 Pancras Square (link to PDF – 549KB)
- The Isokon Gallery (link to PDF – 550KB)
- Regent High School (link to PDF – 563KB)
- Great James Street (link to PDF – 577KB)
- King’s Cross Station (link to PDF – 572KB)
Highly commended schemes
- Hampstead Beach House (link to PDF – 573KB)
- Piano Yard (link to PDF – 573KB)
- Netley Campus (link to PDF – 627KB)
- Friends House (link to PDF – 627KB)
- Camden active spaces (link to PDF – 682KB)
The judging process
After receiving nearly 60 submissions officers completed an initial shortlisting in March before our judging panel judging panel (see below) completed a full shortlisting of the schemes in April – a table listing the shortlisted entries, grouped by type, can be viewed here (link to pdf – 61kb).
From the shortlisted schemes the panel went on a number site visits in April and May, which was followed by various discussions before a decision on the Winners and Highly Commended schemes was made in July.
The results were announced at a small award giving at Camden Council offices (5 Pancras Square) on the 17th of September.
The judging panel
We were delighted to secure an extremely high calibre judging panel:
- Cllr Heather Johnson - DC Committee Chair and this year’s judging panel chair
- Richard Simpson - LB Camden Heritage & Design Champion
- Deborah Saunt - Architect and founding member of architectural studio DSDHA
- Murray Fraser - Professor of Architecture and Global Culture at the Bartlett Faculty of the Built Environment
- Annalie Riches - Architect and founding member of Riches Hawley Mikhail
- Stuart Piercy - Architect and founder of Piercy & Co.
Camden Business Awards 2015
Once again the Camden Design Awards worked in partnership with the Camden Business Awards to celebrate excellence in Design and Construction. Any submissions received for the Camden Design Awards were automatically put forward for the Camden Business Awards (see Disclaimer Statement).
There are three Camden Business Awards which have a Planning / Building Control focus, these are:
- Best Small Development Scheme (1-9 units of residential accommodation or 500-999msq of non-residential floorspace) *
- Best Large Development Scheme (10+ units of residential accommodation or 1000+msq of non-residential floorspace) *
- Best New or improved Public Realm (including publicly accessible gardens or open space)
* The Best Small and Best Large Development Scheme categories are being jointly judged with Camden Building Control, and as such schemes considered for these awards must have used Camden Building Control for their Building Regulations approval to be eligible.
Results from these awards can be viewed on the Camden Business Awards page.
Details of the winning, highly commended and shortlisted schemes from the Camden Design Awards 2013 can be seen on this page.
Camden Design Awards are being organised by the Placeshaping Service of London Borough of Camden. If you require further information you can contact us via email at DesignAwards@camden.gov.uk
Follow us on twitter: @camdendesign