Get a copy of a birth, marriage, civil partnership and death certificate
Copies of birth, marriage, civil partnership and death certificates are available from Camden Register Office - if the event took place in the present London Borough of Camden or the former registration districts of St Pancras or Hampstead. We also cover parts of the former Holborn district which was divided between Camden and Islington. Our records held cover from 1837 up to the present day.
If you wish to obtain a wedding certificate, please note that we may not have some church or other religious institution registers (even if the institution was located in Camden). This is because we are only provided with the records after the institution completes a full register book of approximately 250 marriages which in some cases takes years.
How do I apply?
- apply in person at the Camden Register Office for the express certificate production service
- apply online if the event you require the certificate for was registered more than three months ago
- apply by telephone for duplicate certificate requests when the original registration was less than three months ago or if you are obtaining certificates for the first time following a declaration appointment in a different district or a coroner's inquest case
Fees for certificates
One of three statutory prices will apply for your requested certificate:
- £4.00 each at the time of registration or first opportunity to obtain the certificate
- £7.00 each for when your entry is held in an incomplete register by the registrar often lasting approximately 1-3 months from the time of registration
- £10.00 each for duplicate certificates issued by the superintendent registrar when the entry was created more than 1-3 months ago
- for a full list of our fees for services please see registration service fees
Express certificate production service
What does the service offer?
If you want a certificate urgently you can choose this service. We will treat your application as a priority above other applications and start to work on it straight away.
We would produce the certificate as soon as possible within a short waiting time on the same day. Please note that some older certificates may take a little longer as the indexes take more time to search for the correct entry.
How much does the service cost?
The express service costs £12 on top of the statutory price of the certificate.
When can I use the service?
The express service is in operation from 2 January 2014 Monday-Friday 9.00am-3.30pm.
Do I have to use the service?
No - you can order your certificate without paying the express fee. In such cases your certificates will be processed within 7 days (often sooner) and we can either post them to you or you can collect them from our offices.
Obtaining certificates from the General Register Office
If you prefer, a certificate can be obtained from the General Registrar Office, quoting their full reference (Year, Quarter, Volume and Page):
- download: Home Office information on how to obtain birth, death and marriage certificates from The General Register Office for England and Wales (PDF 40KB)